The Nutrition Services Department at Cuyahoga Heights Schools take great pride in preparing and serving our students daily. Did you know that every staff member is certified in ServSafe either through Cuyahoga County Board of Health or another certified teaching institution. This assures parents that our staff is trained and aware of the process of receiving, storing, preparing and serving food that is safe. Our current Health Inspection Report is up to date and in compliance. We are inspected twice per school year.
We have anticipated the changes the USDA has made in the requirements of the school lunch and have been proactive in implementing these changes gradually over the last three years so students were able to adjust without much difficulty. Some of the changes made are:
- Students are required to take a fruit or vegetable serving to be counted as a full meal. If a student does not include a fruit or vegetable with their lunch all must be charged a la carte prices.
- At least half of the bread/grain servings offered must be whole grain-rich.
- Vegetables offered must be from the following groups each week: dark green, orange/red, starchy, legumes and other vegetables such as celery, green beans, cucumbers.
- Larger servings of vegetables and fruits will be offered.
- Flavored milk must be fat free. White milk must be fat free or 1%.
- Beginning next school year 2014-15 schools will have to meet the first level of sodium limits in meals.
- Age appropriate calorie limits
We will continue to offer Cuyahoga Heights students healthier choices. We will offer taste testing of new products that become available or perhaps try a different fruit or vegetable they may not have seen or tasted. We follow the Alliance for a Healthier Generation guidelines for age appropriate snacks and beverages.
We have been awarded the Stellar Award from the state of Ohio for three years. We also received Honorable Mention in 2008. Our department takes great pride in working toward this achievement, we are proud of what we do and more importantly whom we serve, your children.
If you have any questions about the Nutrition Service Program you can reach me at 216-429-5736.
Food & Child Nutrition Services Supervisor
Cuyahoga Heights Schools